POST NO. 1: BELLE & SEBASTIAN

Welcome to my new(est) music blog. I figure third time's a charm. The formula is simple this time around: let the music speak for itself. Hope you enjoy.


My friend Tim made his first venture into the world of Belle & Sebastian records last week -- purchasing Sinister and Arab Strap -- and mentioned a few days later that he was enjoying them. So, I told him that I would make him a mix featuring songs from all of the group's other releases. An easy enough task, for sure, although choosing which song to pluck from the single I'm Waking Up to Us proved to be trouble. I ended up going with the title track, as to me it stands out amongst the rest of Belle & Sebastian's catalogue. The woodwinds coupled with the string section give the backdrop a decidedly baroque feel, yet the song itself is torn right out of the Love songbook. Stuart Murdoch does his best Arthur Lee impersonation on this tune, both in terms of vocal delivery and lyrical content.

If you're not someone who blindly purchases everything B&S releases, this particular EP -- unlike some of the band's more recent EPs -- is well worth the cash. All three songs are both exclusive and quite good, a reminder of the group's EPs of old.

Belle & Sebastian - "I'm Waking Up to Us"

Visit B&S on the web here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home