POST NO. 35: A SWEDISH RENDEVOUS


I've been smitten with Sweden's Dungen since Day One. I'm a sucker for hook-driven psych rock, especially when it's given a folk nod every other song. So, discovering Dungen (pronounced "Doon-Yun") has been sort of like falling in love with psych rock all over again. There are few modern bands that do psych rock quite so well, or with such a genuine interest in not updating the sound, look, or feel of vintage turn-of-the-Seventies psych. I suppose that could classify Dungen as a dreaded retro-rock band, but whatever. They're fucking great in my book, and my book is the only one that I read with any regularity.

While their debut self-titled album (released in 2001) and their third album, last year's excellent Ta Det Lugnt, have been in print over the past few months, their second album, released in 2002 and titled Dungen 2 (on vinyl) or Stadsvandringar (on CD), has been out of print and a costly buy on eBay. It's finally seeing a U.S. release on CD today, thanks to Astralwerks. So, here's a sample from that album, which I would say as a whole is a bit more mellow and dreamy than Ta Det Lugnt, but equally as good and not without its rockin' moments. As a bonus, I'm also including a song from the domestic re-release of Ta Det Lugnt, as that version of the CD comes with a bonus five-song EP that is also available in limited quantities as an independent 12-inch.

Dungen - "Stadsvandringar" (from Dungen 2 LP, otherwise known as Stadsvandringar CD)

Dungen - "Jamna Plagor"> (from Ta Det Lugnt bonus EP)

The latter tune showcases the band's continent-hopping obsession with garage psych, as it feels flavored more by Latin or possibly Brazilian psych. Good stuff! If you're into seeing bands perform live, you might want to check out Dungen as they tour the States over the next couple weeks. See the "news" section of their site for dates. I'll be at the early show in Chicago -- just look for the slightly balding, bearded, tall dude standing near the front of the stage rockin' out.

2 Comments:

Blogger thenoiseboy said...

There's no teammate like my old teammate. Matter of fact, I wouldn't have that first tune in hand already if not for him. I'm flying solo for a while...

10/04/2005 10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Jamna Plagor" (constant pain) was great. I remember seeing these guys at the Roskilde festival while om mushrooms. I remember it as motsly flute-ish.

10/13/2005 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home